Applying for Student Loans

If you're studying at university for the academic year 2011/12 you'll need to create a application for financial support through the Student Loans Company depending on your area of residence. Anyone applying for student loans in 2011 must complete their application by the given date from the Student Loans Company and confirm university attendance before receiving any instalments.

UCAS and Prerequisites - You need to have applied through UCAS for your chosen university course before applying for students loans in 2011. Although this is not mandatory, having a UCAS application and offers from a university allows Student Finance to match your application to your UCAS information, thereby speeding up the process.

Make sure you have wage slips, tax information, employment information and all information about your course with you before applying to Student Finance. If you are basing your application on household income you will need wage slips or a statement of earnings from the tax office to confirm your income before any offer is made by Student Finance.

Applying for a Loan - You can find out all information about financial assistance for students at: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/index.htm.

When you are ready to apply, click "Register or Apply" on the "Quick Guide to Student Finance" link above. You will be asked to fill in some basic information which will be used to create your account; keep a note of all information you use when registering as this may be required to log in later. Once you receive a confirmation and Customer ID from Student Finance you can begin your application.

The very first steps in applying for student loans for 2011/12 is filling out your personal details, including your name and address. You may be asked for a term time address but you should leave this as your home address if you do not have a term address yet. Make sure all information is correct and accurate; inaccurate information can delay your application.

You will then be asked to confirm loan amounts you wish to receive, course details and financial information/income details. Student Finance will request evidence from you after the form is complete.

Sending Evidence - When applying for student loans for 2011/12 you will be asked to provide evidence to support your application. These are normally proof of address and income evidence if you are basing your application on household income. When you have filled in your application you should see, on your Student Finance Account homepage, a link to "What evidence I need to send". This will provide you with a drop down of evidence you can send in (i.e., a choice of sending in wage slips or a statement of earnings) and the address you need to send your evidence to. Make sure you send your evidence as soon as possible to avoid a delay in the application.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021