FENSA indemnity insurance: how much will it cost?

All replacement windows and doors after April 2001 much have a FENSA certificate, ensuring they comply with new building regulations and provide high standard insulation. You can't sell a home if you don't have a FENSA certificate. However, you can opt for FENSA indemnity insurance if you don't have a FENSA certificate; your solicitor (whether you're buying or selling) will guide you through this process.

Why Can't I Just Get a Replacement?

You can get a replacement FENSA certificate, but you'll want to make sure the windows and doors do meet regulations before applying for an inspector to issue a FENSA certification. If they don't meet regulations then the council can place enforcement. Also, if you tell the council you don't have a FENSA certificate you will not be eligible for indemnity insurance. Make sure you are absolutely certain your windows and doors meet FENSA regulations before attempting to obtain a new FENSA certificate or you could find yourself being prosecuted without protection.

What Does Indemnity Insurance Cover?

Indemnity insurance only covers the cost associated with local authority enforcement, such as legal fees or the cost of issuing a new certificate. A local authority will rarely attempt to contact you about the lack of FENSA certification after a 12 month period, as they would have to apply for an injunction to place enforcement. You can't apply for indemnity insurance unless this 12 month period has passed. If the work carried out is dangerous or doesn't come close to the standards required you're not likely to get indemnity insurance.

FENSA Indemnity Insurance: How Much Does it Cost?

You can except to pay as little as £20 or anything as high as £70, depending on the value of your home and other factors (i.e., number of replacements). Adminstration fees and other legal costs may be added to the price.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021