How to claim for a tax rebate in the UK

They say that tax doesn’t have to be taxing, but that’s not normally the case when you’re asking for your money back. If you want to know how to claim for a tax rebate, you’re probably owed a fair amount of money. Whether you’ve overpaid your tax through PAYE, need to reclaim tax on behalf of someone who’s passed away or want some help understanding why you’ve had a tax refund, we’ve got all the info you’ll need.

Overpaid through work

This is a common problem, especially for those who had to pay emergency tax for a long period of time. If that’s you, you’ll want to know how to reclaim your hard earned money. Perhaps you’re a student who worked through the summer holidays or you were only employed for part of the year for one reason or another. Whatever your reason for overpaying through PAYE, all you have to do is get in touch with HMRC by phone, explain why you’ve overpaid your income tax and have all the information about the job you did, including start date and end date. The person on the other end of the phone will tell you what other information you’ll need. You’ll find contact details at hmrc.gov.uk.

Claiming on behalf of someone who’s passed away

When a loved one passes away, you probably won’t be worried about the income tax they paid and whether they’re owed anything back. But when you start to wrap up the estate some time later, this is something you could look into if the deceased was employed when he or she passed away. To claim a refund you have to complete a R27 form, but before you do get in touch with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and explain the circumstances.

Understanding your refund

HMRC can refund you by cheque sent through the post, by bank transfer or through your wages, so it’s possible that you might receive a refund without being aware of why it’s come through. If that’s the case, you should get in touch with HMRC through their website to ask them about the refund and why it was sent to you. There are too many reasons why you may have overpaid on your income tax to go through every one here, so get in touch with HMRC if you’ve received a refund you weren’t expecting.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021