How to claim tax back in the UK

If you believe that you’ve overpaid on your income tax and you want to claim for a refund, you’ll be interested to learn that it’s actually a pretty simple process if you’ve overpaid through PAYE. If not, find out how to claim tax back in the UK by reading our step-by-step guide.
    wikimedia commons

Through PAYE

As noted, this is the simplest process. That’s probably because the majority of the overpayments made to HMRC are through emergency tax codes applied to new workers or through firms applying the wrong tax code to their new employees by mistake. To reclaim your money, phone or write to HMRC and explain why you believe you’ve overpaid. You can find their contact details at hmrc.gov.uk. There are time limits to be aware of, but they currently run into years rather than months so most workers who are aware they’re owed money will get their refund long before their time limit runs out.

Self-Assessment tax overpayments

If you believe that you’ve overpaid through self-assessment tax return, you’ll need to correct the form and resend it to HMRC in order to claim any tax back. Perhaps you’ve made an error or missed something off, whatever the issue HMRC will investigate. As with claiming refunds through PAYE, are time limits to be aware of. Visiting HMRC’s official site will give you the most up to date information on closing times for refunds.

Amending online tax returns

If you made your tax return online and you notice a mistake after you’ve submitted it, correcting it is very simple. Log into your Self-Assessment online account page and then click on “at a glance”. From there you can choose the “amend your tax return” option.

Amending paper application

If you’ve sent the tax return in via the post, you won’t need to resubmit the whole tax return if you become aware of a mistake. Writing to HMRC and attaching the pages you want changed, will be enough to get your mistake corrected. Make sure you clearly mark “Amendment” at the top of the first page. The address to use is written on your tax return or your Self-Assessment Statement.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2021